Thursday, July 12, 2007

My first born son


"Mommy, can we have alone time?" This question is frequently asked by my 1st born. Her love language is absolutely time. My 2nd born's love language is hands down touch. Sometimes I have to watch not squashing that b/c he is constantly touching me & every once in a while I need space. But this day, he asked for time! It was so wonderful needing that from him. I immediately called my husband in and told him that my son and I were going for a walk. I gave him a scoop of ice cream on a cone, and off we went. We only walked less than a mile, but I cherished every minute. He showed me different discoveries he made, we counted rocks, and I did my best to remember every moment b/c I know, as most people with older kids tell me, they grow up too fast. I know it is kind of silly, but I also thought about all of those books on boys I have read ~ what not to take personally b/c they are boys and how to see the excitement and adventure in their eyes.
I love having a son! Don't get me wrong, I adore my daughters! But, there's something about my son. I think b/c when I taught school I noticed the relationships some of my boy students had w/ their moms and I always wanted that. I am so glad that his love language is touch. When I am reading a story to all the kids he has to be leaning right on me, or when we watch TV some part of him has to be touching me, or when we walk he will hold my hand, or when I snuggle with him at night he will trace my face with his fingers. On a daily basis, I pray that this will always be the case. I pray that we will, as with all of my children, always have a special bond. I pray about the man he will become and the wife he will have and the children they will have. I think about all of things he can do for the Lord and how his life will affect many. I am absolutely loving this journey that we are on together and I thank God everyday for the gift of my son!

3 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh how dear this post is. How wonderful a son's love for his mother, what a gift God has given you in him.

And the picture is gorgeous! It captures just what you wrote.

Lisa Spence said...

We, of course, think having sons is pretty special, as that's all we have! My second son is like yours, very physically affectionate, and it continues even now at eleven years old. There are certainly challenges (my oldest is now 13--enough said) but there are definitely blessings as well...

I too love the pic!

Lynn Stallworth said...

I cruised in from Joy's blog and I am in complete understanding of what you're talking about. I have a stepson who's always lived with his mother, so I've never been "mom" to him, just a friend. I, too, have seen wonderful relationships between sons and mothers and wanted that so badly. I also have a daughter who is twelve. Shortly after her birth my hubby got the big "V" so I thought my dreams of a son were squashed. Until one day he agreed to have it reversed! God blessed me, after 18 months of trying to conceive, with twin sons! It is a dream come true for me. Fortunately I have one who also loves touch and is very much a Momma's boy! God is so good!